|I painted the built in dresser and assembled the ikea dresser. This room is going to be loaded with storage.|
The day bed is very simple but works well in the space. To make it, I covered the sides of a twin sized box spring with grey fabric. I think its a polyester - it was the right color and the right price - $5 per yard.
|I used three yards of fabric to cover the box spring. Thankfully I have a big empty living room (that I haven't furnished yet) to work in. I hope my budget allows me to make it my next ORC project!|
|I removed these little plastic protective things with a flat head screwdriver.|
|I slowly worked my way around stapling the fabric to the wood frame - like you would do with a dining room chair seat.|
|I played around with the corners and decided I liked this look best.|
|After stapling the fabric I added my legs. First the leg hardware then the legs - after I painted them BM Grape Green.|
|The plates were easy to screw in an I didn't need to drill pilot holes first. I did not attach the legs until I moved my box spring up stairs.|
I bought a twin mattress at Ikea. They have a bunch of affordable mattress options that are pretty comfortable. The one I picked cost $169 and came rolled - making it much easier to get in my car and up two flights of stairs to the attic. I don't expect the bed will get much use, but it will be nice to have one more option for house guests.
At the moment I've only dressed the bed with sheets and the grey buffalo check duvet cover (also from Ikea). I may make some sort of upholstered wrap around, but I'm going to wait to see how the rest of the space comes together. I think it might be more fun to load it up with fun pillows or sew a bolster for the head and the side along the wall.
I also styled the little window by the bed. The singer was my grandmother's. One of two of her machines that I own. This little arrangement makes me happy every time I see it. I have my sister-in-law to thank for most of those books.
Next up - more trim to paint the space has 3 windows and 3 doors all with trim. I still have quite a bit of touching up to do. I also plan to do some sewing. Roman shades, fabric colored bins, a window seat cushion, a new ironing board cover, and possibly some pillows for the bed - I might save that project for week 3!