Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Give Thanks

We are still in the rental house. I have no complaints as its a nice house, we have great neighbors, and we can take our time finding the perfect home for our family. I do miss having a home to decorate though. I get my fix by pinning ideas for the next house, completing little projects that I can take with me when we move, and decorating for the holidays. Normally I don't do much between Halloween and Christmas, but this year I've decided to do a little decorating and crafting for Thanksgiving.

This week I tackled making a Thanksgiving wreath. I didn't want to spend much on the wreath so I went to one of my favorite thrift stores in search of supplies and I found this beauty. 


It took only a few minutes to remove the ribbon and silk flowers.  Note the $2.49 price, and it was an additional 25% off - so it was actually $1.87.


I wanted the wreath to be a little bit thicker so I wrapped it in strips of medium weight batting I had leftover from another project. 



Next I wrapped it with a gold polka dotted burlap ribbon that was on clearance at Joann's for $1.97. I bought 2 packs. When one spool of ribbon ran out I attached it to the other with staples (on the backside of the wreath). I did the same for the end of the ribbon. 


I purchased 1 yard of fabric (1/2 yard of each print) to make the flowers and banner. I used this very easy technique to make the flowers. I made three flowers in a variety of sizes of each fabric. I  cut a scalloped edge on a couple of them before gathering them for a slightly different look. I attached the flowers to scraps of cardboard, which made them easier to arrange before attaching them to the wreath. I ended up only using 4 on the wreath. I have plans for the left over flowers. 


I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the fabric letters (backed with Heat-N-Bond) and ironed them on to hand cut scraps of curtain liner fabric. I sewed them to the ribbon to create the banners. You could also glue them to the ribbon if you don't sew. I knotted the ribbon at the ends and used hot glue to attach it to the wreath. For approximately $12 I'm very happy with the way my wreath turned out. 


Follow me on Instagram @mandyfarn for project sneak peeks and other fun that doesn't always make it to the blog. 



2 comments:

Stacey said...

LOVE this! Especially the fabric for the flowers!

Amanda said...

Thanks Stacey! I knew you'd love that orange fabric :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails