Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Maybe I Can Make it Into an Ottoman

When I dropped off the furniture at A Wider Circle last week, I brought home a few additional items to work on over the summer. I was so excited about the possible transformation of one piece that I started and finished it this past weekend.

It started as a pretty ho-hum coffee table.




I'm pretty sure someone made it. The top is made out of plywood that someone attempted to stain. The legs are permanently attached (there was no way to remove them without breaking them or the table) so I needed to make them work. The plywood was chipping on the top and was beyond painting or refinishing. When I saw it in the AWC warehouse I remarked, "Maybe I can make it into an ottoman."  Well, that's exactly what I did.

Here's the after:


After cleaning it, I turned it upside down to prime and paint the legs. I used the leftover grey from this project for the legs.

Once the legs were dry, I marked the top of the table to drill holes to tuft the ottoman. After drilling the holes I started the upholstering process. I turned my fabric (a large scrap of fabric from Ikea) upside down and draped it over the ottoman (wrong side facing out). I made sure there was enough fabric hanging over all four sides for the table to staple it to the underside of the table. I used pins to pull the fabric to define the corners then cut away the excess fabric. The result looked like a pinned fitted tablecloth. I sewed a straight stitch along the pinned areas (leaving about a centimeter on the outside of the pins - the fabric had to fit over foam and a layer of batting).

After sewing, I turned my sewn creation right-side out and set it side aside. Before attaching the fabric to the ottoman I added a soft layer of foam and batting. I cut a piece of 1.5" foam to fit the top of the ottoman I draped a large piece of medium weight batting over the foam and table base. I pulled the batting tight and stapled it to the ottoman. I trimmed the excess batting at the corned and stapled loose batting along the corner edges.

Next, I took my "fitted tablecloth" and put it over the foam and batting. I flipped the ottoman upside down and stapled the fabric edges to the underside of the ottoman. I started in the middle of each side and slowly worked my way out and around the ottoman - like this.



Next I tufted the ottoman. I used a button making kit to cover my own buttons. I sewed the buttons onto the ottoman using an extra large needle and polyester cord. I threaded my needle through the hole I drilled into the bottom of the ottoman; pushed it through the layers of foam, batting, and fabric; through my button hole and back through again to come out the same drilled hole. I pulled it tight and knotted it around a small washer - which I used to keep the knot in place.


The tufting isn't very dramatic, but I think makes the bench look more finished. I really love the way the ottoman turned out and I want to make something similar for my own home. 









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails