|Print by LizzyClara|
- We recycle everything we can! We are lucky to live in a county where almost all plastics are recyclable; in addition to paper, glass, and metal.
- We reuse. I save all kinds of things for the kids' crafting projects. Tubes, jars, Styrofoam, you name it.
- We grow some of our own vegetables. Our yard gets lots of sun and despite the disaster that our yard once was, we manged to have a nice little vegetable garden last year. This year we are growing zucchini, cucumber, tomato, beans, sage, rosemary, and basil.
- What we don't grow ourselves we try to buy from local sources. We are lucky to live within walking distance of a great farmer's market.
- We conserve water. We have a high efficiency washing machine and we recently installed a rain barrel in the garden. Our water bill also shows us how we compare to other households (average use per person). I am proud to report that we use much less than the average.
- I even try to work conservation into my crafting. I am committed to not buying any new supplies for the Iron Craft Challenge (with the exception of peeps).
- We also buy used. Most of the furniture in our house was found in thrift stores, at garage sales, etc.
We won't change overnight, but I think we are on the right track. How about you? How do you incorporate Earth Day into your everyday?